Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Did we forgot the art of being grateful

Loans to repay, expenses to bear, younger brother yet to get employed, sister needs to get married, father retired, the list seemed to be endless, when my friend started narrating his problems.

For his life is full of problems and even god also left him alone to face them on his own.

I am talking about an incident that happend around ten years ago.

I agree that he had lot of problems and probably limited number of solutions. As they were the days where sales jobs offring great salary were rare.

Probably this might have motivated him to seriously consider and work for the government job as a teacher.

One year of his preparation for the teacher selection exam in Andhrapradesh yielded him the result.

I still remember the day he came to me with a pack of Asha Chocolates from Nutrine company to convey the news.

I met him after another one year. I was expecting him to be happy. But to my dismay he was not.

He had new list of problems. He was placed around 100 km away from his home town by governement. He had to cook his own food. Work was very difficult. Headmaster of the school doesn't like him. Salary is not sufficient to meet all the expenses.

As every year the pongal or sankranthi festival makes me to go home, I met him the next year. By this time his sister got married. Brother got some job. And he too managed to come near to the home town. Now he is able to stay at home itseslf.

But again his dissatisfaction did not die. The scooter that he bought for daily commuting is drinking petrol, His brother could not make it to a government job, his fellow teachers could get a preferential treatment in the school.....

And the last one that stuck was, god was never good to me even after me putting my level best effort.

This is the incident that I am able to observe in length. But I generally see the people who are never happy about anything that they get.
I had a colleauge who got a lakh of rupees as bonus. I was expecting him to share the same happily. But after a month when I asked him about this, he was not at all happy. He was telling that the one lakh is nothing in current scenario, where a plot is costing fifty laks and so on.

I am sure that even if he gets fifty laksh still he will have reasons to cry further.

Just remember the days of our childhood where a small cup of icecream was able to make us happy.
Watching a movie, getting a plastic electronic watch, getting a new pen all of them are reasons of joy.

Then when we grow why is that each reason to feel joy is turning to be pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment